Château L'Evangile: History

Château L’Evangile is one of the oldest winemaking properties in Pomerol, dating back to the mid-18th century and, for all intents and purposes, not much has changed in the two centuries since when it comes to the vinyard- dominated by Merlot and accented with Cabernet Franc. In 1862 L’Evangile was sold to Paul Chaperon and later came to his descendants, the famous Ducasse family. Finally in 1990, the estate was acquired by Domaines de Barons Rothschild, the famous owners of Château Lafite Rothschild. Heavy investments followed, with the replanting of vines, introduction of a second wine and an extensive renovation of the vat room and cellars, completed in 2004. Perhaps the greatest upheaval though for this historic winery with its pedigree of constancy was its expansion in 2012. DBR acquired a plot of land from Le Croix de Gay, bringing the property to 55 acres in total.