Jean Louis Chave   Hermitage Blanc

2009 Hermitage Blanc

By Jean-Louis Chave

2009 Hermitage Blanc from Jean-Louis Chave, Rhone

As a wine lover and investor, you know that provenance matters, and with the 2009 Hermitage Blanc from Jean-Louis Chave, you have the refinement of Rhone wine brought to life. Jean-Louis Chave has been recognised as a first-rate producer of white wines in this region and the vintage of 2009 is no exception.


Reaping the benefits of an exceptional season

The 2009 vintage owes its distinct character to the generosity of mother nature during that particular year. The growing season was marvellously consistent, allowing the Marsanne grape - which makes up 85% of this prestigious blend - to develop a depth of flavour that is drop-dead gorgeous. The remainder 15% is Roussanne, adding soft floral and herbal touches.

As investors have noticed, the magic of the Chave estate is not limited to its exquisitely farmed land. Jean-Louis Chave himself plays an essential role in understanding and coaxing a symphony of flavours from each bunch within his care.


A worthy investment

Any serious wine investors looking for nuanced Rhone whites would most certainly be drawn towards this 2009 Hermitage Blanc from Jean-Louis Chave. The investment value lies not just in its unique notes but also in its excellent ageing potential. Consequently, the 2009 Hermitage Blanc only continues to grow in elegance and complexity decade after decade, making it a promising portfolio addition.


Tasting notes on this noteworthy vintage

On the palate, this 2009 release unveils layers of creamy honeycomb interspersed with hazelnuts and heady white flowers. These flavours interweave amongst subtle hints of exotic spices, all supported by a superbly structured minerality from the limestone-rich terroir. There is a certain richness here that owes tribute to the warm 2009 growing season, yet it's sublimely balanced with an invigorating acidity.

In conclusion, the 2009 Hermitage Blanc from Jean-Louis Chave is an absolute star of the Rhone Valley. Not only does this wine serve as an emblem of the quintessential Rhone white, but it has also proven to be one of the most enticing investment opportunities for those seeking age-worthy and distinguished wines.

Market price (SGD)



Highest score


POP score


Scores and tasting notes


From one of the greatest years in Hermitage, Jean Louis Chave's 2009 Hermitage Blanc is quite possibly the greatest white ever from this estate (the 2013 will certainly be in the same league, but in a different style) and tops out on my scale. An utterly profound wine in every way, it offers to-die-for notes of liquid rock, licorice, buttered citrus, honey and quince. This gives way to a voluptuous, full-bodied, decadent and heavenly Hermitage Blanc that has massive richness and mid-palate depth while always staying fresh, pure and focused. This is insanely good white that will have half a century of longevity. Bravo!

Jeb Dunnuck - The Wine Advocate, 13 September 2015

Vintage performance